Monday, February 17, 2014

How UDL Can Improve My Lesson Plans


With UDL as a the fundamental focus, assessment is always an important factor.  I recently assessed a lesson plan written for the first grade class I student taught in a few months ago. I found that my lesson incorporated fundamentals of UDL but also lacked in some areas. 

The social studies lesson was designed for students to learn about a world map, specifically the names of continents and oceans. Students were shown a colorful world map on the smart board and were asked questions to identify a continent or ocean.  For example, I would ask: "What is the name of the continent that is green?" or "What continents surround the Indian Ocean?"

After assessing my lesson, I realized I had incorporated some UDL principles, but could improve by adding more.  I feel as though I did best with providing multiple means for action and expression (Specifically: 4.1, 4.2, 5.2, 6.2, and 6.4). As an elementary teacher, I am fully aware that littles ones need movement and to best keep their focus and attention, it's best to incorporate a way for children to be active and be able to express their views in any way.  My biggest challenge was providing multiple means of representation, specifically 1.1, 1.2, 1.3. I could have incorporated other ways to visually  represent a world map such as putting the image on the 5 computers in the back of room (for students to look at), providing the smaller print-version of the world map for struggling students to keep at their desks.

By assessing my lesson plans with a UDL lens, I can create engaging lessons that can reach very student in the best possible way for them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment