Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Technology Toolkit for UDL


With the help of UDL, educators have the ability to reach every student by tapping into their unique, individual learning style(s).  With that in mind, it's important to be a prepared classroom teacher with a variety of tools and strategies to ensure student success. 

A common misconception is that assistive technology is expensive. There are many inexpensive and even FREE tools that can be downloaded on classroom computers to
help struggling learners.  The following is a list of helpful tools geared towards elementary students that I liked learning about and will use in the future. 


Graphic Organizers

Literacy Tools
StarFall       
Into the Book        

Study Skills Tools
Word Stash        
Literactive      

Research Tools
Sweet Search    

Audio Books

Math Tools

Writing Tools
Text-to-Speech/Speech-to-Text

Collaborative Tools

Multimedia and Digital Storytelling 



Click here to get a full list of technology tools to help in the classroom! 


UDL helps educators with creating instructional goals and with using different methods, materials and assessments that work for everyone.  It also helps diminish the belief that a 'one-size-fits all' attitude to teaching children is not the way to go.

One size DOES NOT fit all! 


My next blog will take an in-depth look as to why UDL is fundamentally necessary for the success of students. 


Sources:

7 comments:

  1. Great cartoon and it reminds me a bit of some of my old teachers from the 70s and 80s. That being said I enjoyed seeing your extensive list of resources :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rosaria, I like the way you listed out the resources. Have you had a chance to test out any resources that are new to you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, not yet-- I am currently in the process of substituting. But I am excited to try them out. I wish I would have known a few existed when I was student teaching last fall in a first grade classroom. Some of these would have been very useful for the diverse learners in that class.

      Delete
  3. Your list of resources is great! Thank you for doing the research and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosaria,

    I love the list of resources you provided! As an educator, it is so important to know and understand the resources that are available for you. They are not only beneficial for the teacher, but also for the students. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the cartoon. It reminds me of a time when people actually read newspapers! It shows how all students definitely are not all alike and one size certainly doesn't fit all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the cartoon as well. I think that is a great way to describe a classroom. I always tell my students if we were all the same our lives would be very boring, therefore we all have different needs and ways of doing things.

    ReplyDelete